Monday, August 23, 2010

One Step Forward, Zero Steps Back

Beats 5 steps forward and 6 steps back, it is a mathematical certainty. 16 straight days I've run - usually just 2-4 miles, but once a week now up to 7. That's a long enough streak that I'm in commit mode - run every day unless it's dumb and injurious. If someone had told me that I'd be able to do that w/o re-injury a month ago, I'd have laughed at 'em. The muscles and body are a complex system and I'm glad I have a good coach (Tom Smith, DC and runner) on what muscles need work because despite my obvious brilliance, I sure was clueless on how to fix myself post-surgery. Doing everything wrong! Progress is definite.

So I decided yesterday to do my long-time favorite run; it was time to go run trails again - I ran the Hoffman Trail at Nicene Marks, which is 6.5 miles and 750 ft of total climbing from the trail branch-off at Aptos Creek Road where I lock my mtn bike (7 miles if from the "green gate"). I told myself to just run easy, as I'd done a 40 mile 3200' climb on the bike on Saturday (and 2 mile run). I took it easy, but still discovered at the end that I'd set a new post-surgery PR on that trail. I can make use of the endorphins too - I'm usually in mourning over the loss of my summer by mid August and don't perk up until a week or so into the Fall semester's teaching. Not this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment