Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Day 15 years in the Making

What a rewarding way to start '12! - for the first time in 15 years, I've run a race and been able to go flat-out and be limited only by my cardio conditioning and not be hobbled by injuries from remaining muscle imbalances from my pre-surgery decade of cripple-dom. The last piece of the puzzle was getting my glutes firing, as I've been working on for some time now, and it has finally paid off. The Carmel Rio Resolution 10K run, an annual tradition, is a very hilly race and has plenty of potential to trash your legs, calves, etc. But not this year - what a great feeling! And no post-race hobble-dom either. 58:06 for my race, which is many minutes ahead of prior races. Here's my story page. Those of you who have newly resurfaced hips, or are pondering cementless resurfacing, I say - go for it! I enthusiastically recommend my surgeon, who pioneered this surgery and has the most outstanding success rate in the profession - Thomas P. Gross in Columbia, South Carolina. I'm finally back. I was on crutches or barely walking for 10 solid years after corticosteroid-induced osteo-necrosis wrecked my left hip. Now, at age 59, I'm finally fully back as a triathlete. Still work to do on strengthening muscle groups, especially those glutes, but the motivation remains strong and I'm looking forward to '12.

No comments:

Post a Comment